How much road tax will I have to pay for my car?

If a car is registered on your name you will have to pay road tax.

How much road tax you will have to pay depends on several factors:

• the type of car;
  • the province you are living in;
  • the type of fuel;
  • the weight of your car;
  • the CO 2 discharge of the car;
  • the age of the car.

For a car older than 25 year the road tax is nil. The same with a car which has a CO 2 discharge of nil. Reductions are in place for cars with a reduced CO 2 discharge.

Part of the road tax is based on the tax rate of the province. That is why road tax differs per province.

The type of fuel is important. The highest rate is applicable to diesel, followed by gasoline and the lowest rate is for petrol.

On the website of the tax authorities a test calculation can be made.

Comment by Brian M M Mufana on Wed, Dec 30th, 2015 at 8:21 AM
This actually not write in English and refer to a home page in Dutch??
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Jan 6th, 2016 at 3:56 PM
That is correct. We provide all info in English but unfortunately the Dutch government doesn‘t provide everything in English. You can try to translate the webpage with the translation plugin of your webbrowser. We offer a free service with this Knowledge Base but don‘t have all information available ourselves, which is why we have to refer to other websites sometimes. And sometimes the only available info is in Dutch.
Comment by M Knight on Mon, Feb 15th, 2016 at 10:19 PM
Hi, How do I know if the dealer has taxed the car or not? Do I need something displayed in the car? Many thanks
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:11 PM
A car dealer will not pay road tax on your behalf. When you buy the car the license plate will be registered on your name and you will start paying road tax from that day.
Comment by S Brock on Mon, Aug 22nd, 2016 at 12:37 PM
I have just bought a second hand Dutch car. Do I pay road tax (MRB) only or do I also have to pay BPM? Who do I ring or is there a website to pay my MRB? I can‘t find how to pay it on the Belastingdienst website... :(
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Aug 31st, 2016 at 6:24 PM
BPM is charged when a car is registered in the Netherlands for the first time. Since you bought a second hand Dutch car BPM is not charged additionally to you. BPM is already included in the price. Once you have registered the car on your name the tax authorities will automatically send you road tax assessments.