Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

How is income which I receive from renting out a room in my house to a student taxed in the Netherlands?

I have rented one of the rooms in my apartment to a student. She is going to be registered with IND at the end of the month (as she is a foreigner) and they will register her officially with the GBA. I sign with her a rental agreement.
How should I reconcile with belastingdienst my income.? Should I report it directly after her registration? Or now? Or add the income to the annual tax return form or...????? What is the proceeding in such a case?
I expect that that the income you receive from the student remains tax free. There is a tax exemption for income earned with renting out a room, in Dutch called "kamerverhuurvrijstelling".

  • The income you receive (rent including compensation for use of furniture, energy etc.) is not above a certain amount.

    2016: max. € 5,069
    2015: max. € 4,954
    2014: max. € 4,748
    2013: max. € 4,536

  • The student is registered with the GBA at your address
  • The rental agreement is signed for a longer period (for example a year)
  • The student rents a room (not an independent part of the property)

If you meet all the requirements the rental income will be tax free and on the other hand mortgage interest which sees pro rata on the rented room can still be deducted.
If the requirements are not met the room will be taxed in box 3 as income from investments and you will not be able to deduct the mortgage interest pro rata for this room anymore.
The exemption is also applicable if you rent out a room to other persons, so you don't specifically have to rent out a room to a student. It can also be a friend, colleague or somebody else. 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Subin on Mon, Feb 22nd, 2016 at 10:16 PM
is the rule any different if the room is rented out to another working individual? thx
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:00 PM
No difference. Exemption is also applicable if you rent out a room to another working individual. I have updated the article.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
I have sold my house with a loss. Is this loss tax deductible?
Viewed 6374 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
Writing yourself off the Dutch system
Viewed 2285 times since Thu, Aug 7, 2014
Can an entrepreneur get a time extension for payment of a tax claim?
Viewed 6038 times since Fri, Feb 22, 2013
My partner has no income, is she entitled to a refund or tax credit?
Viewed 20026 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
I want to buy a property outside the Netherlands. What are the tax consequences?
Viewed 3170 times since Tue, Jan 10, 2012
Protective assessment upon emigration from the Netherlands - why did I get one?
Viewed 19075 times since Tue, Nov 13, 2012
Taxation of foreign military pension - in this question a UK pension
Viewed 10844 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013
What are the amounts for wage tax and premiums social security - LB/PR. VOLKSVZ?
Viewed 2955 times since Thu, Dec 10, 2015
Tax assessment for 2014 may be higher than expected
Viewed 2548 times since Fri, Feb 20, 2015
How long do I have to keep my financial administration?
Viewed 4197 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011