How does the Dutch social security system work?
Article ID: 97 | Last Updated: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM
There are the following national insurance schemes (for all residents):
- Old age pension = "Algemene Ouderdomswet" (AOW)
- Widows/ers pension = "Algemene Nabestaandenwet" (ANW)
- Disability benefit = "Alg. Arbeidsongeschiktheidswet" (AAW)
- Child benefit = "Algemeen Kinderbijslagwet" (AKW)
- Special Medical Expenses = "Algemene Wet Bijzondere Ziektekosten" (AWBZ)
There are also the following employee insurance schemes:
- Statutory sick pay = "Ziektewet" (ZW)
- Unemployment benefit = "Werkloosheidswet" (WW)
- Disablement benefit = "Wet op de Arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekering" (WAO) and since 2006 also "Wet werk en inkomen naar arbeidsvermogen" (WIA), replacing the WAO in due time.