Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Dutch taxation on uk properties


I am British but have lived and worked since 1993 in NL. This year I inherited land and cash from my mother in Northern Ireland. The land is kind of moorland, so hardly generates any income but is let out to a farmer for grazing for a small amount per year, plus I get a payment from the Dept of agriculture and rural development in Northern Ireland. I have heard that for Dutch tax I have to declare the value of the land and pay 1.2% fixed tax rate on this amount which based on the inheritance tax valuation of the land this works out as more than the income I get from the farm letting plus the dard payment. Is this correct? Or is there a way around this? It will definitely affect a decision to keep the land for building a house, or to sell the land, which I really don‘t want to do. Thanks very much for any help.


The tax treaty between the Netherlands and the UK divides the right to tax the UK property to the UK since it is physically located in the UK. Although you formally have to report the value of the land in your Dutch tax return (under Box 3) you can claim an exemption for the full amount again in the same tax return to prevent double taxation. The income earned will not have to be declared in the Dutch tax return. 

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Malcolm Hebden on Mon, Aug 24th, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Could anyone confirm that this answer is still correct because my advisor has suggested that the rule on this has changed.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Sep 23rd, 2015 at 11:10 AM
This answer is still correct in my opinion.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Dutch taxes on foreign (US) accounts
Viewed 6865 times since Sat, Dec 8, 2012
Do I get a tax refund if I have worked outside the Netherlands part of the year?
Viewed 1953 times since Thu, Oct 18, 2012
How long will I have to keep my tax records available for the Dutch tax authorities?
Viewed 3115 times since Thu, Apr 26, 2012
Do I need to pay tax on maintenance or alimony which I received from my ex-partner?
Viewed 4331 times since Wed, Nov 14, 2012
Leaving the Netherlands
Viewed 1107 times since Mon, Oct 20, 2014
What is the tax rate if I get a part time position?
Viewed 4327 times since Wed, Feb 13, 2013
Freelance tax return and 30% ruling
Viewed 3280 times since Sat, Feb 23, 2013
What is the applicable tax rate? What should my employer withhold?
Viewed 19431 times since Thu, Nov 24, 2011
Transfer tax structurally reduced to 2%
Viewed 2514 times since Thu, Jun 14, 2012
How can I submit or change a foreign bank account number?
Viewed 4208 times since Wed, Sep 11, 2013