Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Double housing costs: can I claim a deduction or reimbursement of these costs?


I am about to move to the Netherlands and I will apply for the 30% ruling. At the moment I pay 500 eur/month for an apartment in Italy (50% of the total cost since I share the apartment with my girlfriend) . The lease contract is assigned (under name) of my girlfriend.

Is there a way to have the tax refund for double housing costs for the accommodation in the Netherlands (I will rent an apartment in NL). Which document should I provide to tax authorities?


Double housing costs can‘t be deducted in the income tax return nor can they be claimed back from the tax authorities.

Your employer can reimburse the double housing costs to you under conditions but this is only possible tax free if you don‘t use the 30% ruling. If you have the 30% ruling the double housing costs are assumed to be covered by the 30% ruling.

For more info see

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Commuting expenses and 30% ruling
Viewed 6149 times since Thu, Jun 20, 2013
Can an exceptional free reimbursement be given for double accommodation costs while maximum use is already being made of the 30% ruling?
Viewed 7049 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
Travel expenses under the 30% ruling - family visit
Viewed 2066 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
Travel with own car is tax deductable or not?
Viewed 1794 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
Are the costs of a funeral tax deductible?
Viewed 1945 times since Wed, Dec 14, 2011
30% ruling and moving allowance
Viewed 3570 times since Thu, Apr 4, 2013
Car expenses: can I claim a tax refund for car expenses incurred by driving from my home to my work?
Viewed 12845 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
Is the invoice of an attorney tax deductible?
Viewed 1763 times since Thu, Jan 17, 2013
Which costs can be considered to be extra territorial costs?
Viewed 5795 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011