Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Do I have to register my business for VAT with the Dutch tax authorities if I provide a service to non-EU clients?

I am working fulltime in the Netherlands and simultaniously running my business providing a service to outside the EU. Should I register my business for VAT?
You are living in the Netherlands. Consequence is that your business is also based in the Netherlands since you are the effective management of the business. This is only different if the business is based in a real office outside the Netherlands with a director in the same country who has full control over the company.
If your business is based in the Netherlands you will indeed have to register it for VAT purposes with the Dutch tax authorities. This can be arranged by first registering the business in the trade register of the Chamber of Commerce. Once this is done the VAT number is automatically provided by the tax authorities. From that moment you will have to maintain a business administration which will contain the VAT administration.
Expatax can help you with the administration.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by RD on Tue, Nov 24th, 2015 at 4:59 PM
Hi, I am highly skilled migrant and can I work here with a company which is not acknowledged by IND? Or any other way I can still work with that company. Please confirm urgently. Thanks RD
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Nov 24th, 2015 at 5:37 PM
To able to work as a knowledge migrant the employer must be registered as a recognised employer with the IND. See Otherwise the procedure for a normal labour migrant must be followed which will take more time and require more proof.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
How to correct a mistake in VAT tax return and ICP statement?
Viewed 1538 times since Mon, Aug 3, 2015
Which expenses can I deduct from my profit when I have a business in the Netherlands?
Viewed 20415 times since Mon, Aug 19, 2013
Which information should be mentioned on an invoice to my client?
Viewed 12298 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
What are the basic administration requirements?
Viewed 1712 times since Sat, Nov 5, 2011
What is the VAT rate in the Netherlands for men‘s shirts?
Viewed 4417 times since Thu, Mar 29, 2012
How does the current EU VAT system work?
Viewed 18671 times since Sun, Feb 24, 2013
Are the costs I made before I actually registered my business deductible?
Viewed 2492 times since Mon, Dec 19, 2011
Does our Dutch limited company require an annual audit by an accountant?
Viewed 3992 times since Mon, Jan 14, 2013
Can an entrepreneur get a time extension for payment of a tax claim?
Viewed 6102 times since Fri, Feb 22, 2013
How are VAT returns filed?
Viewed 11874 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011