Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Can some tax company deceive me about my tax return? Can they change my bank details


Hello, I just wanna ask if my tax return did some other company than the tax office, could they deceive me about my tax return money? Or the tax office first will send me some letter when I can check my personal informations, for example, like my bank account number? Thank you much! 


Technically any person could change your bank account by contacting the tax authorities with a request to change the bank account. This can be done with a special form which can be downloaded from the website of the tax authorities. If the person who prepares this form has your personal details and BSN/sofinumber and can copy your signature it is indeed possible that the bank account is changed without your knowledge, especially when a power of attorney from you and a copy of your passport is provided. 

It was also possible to change the bank account details just before the tax return was filed electronically, so after you approved the tax return for filing. Or the M form which had to be filed on paper for the year of migration could be manually adjusted by providing other bank details. 

The tax authorities are aware of this situation and are changing the procedure. It is now no longer possible to provide bank account details when the tax return is filed. 

The procedure is also going more towards a citizen service portal which can be accessed with the DigiD and where changes can be made. Therefore it is important that you keep your DigiD secret. Changes will be made in the coming year(s). 

Difficult in your situation is that currently the tax authorities may not be willing to provide information about the bank account they have in their system over the phone. Besides the fact that they are not allowed to speak English to you. They can say whether a payment has been made though. 

If it turns out that a payment was made but not to you you can request the tax authorities to make the payment to your account. The tax authorities will then chase the person whos bank account was used to receive your refund instead. But there can be some discussion first. 

As soon as the tax return has been processed by the tax authorities you will receive a tax assessment. This tax assessment will mention the bank account to which the payment has been made. If this number is unknown to you contact the tax authorities directly. It takes the tax authorities normally around 6 weeks up to 3 months to send you a provisional tax assessment. 

You can also request the tax company to send you a report of the electronic filing. This report mentions exactly what was sent to the tax authorities. This is however only possible when the company used commercial tax software. If you are still in the Netherlands you can also go to the tax company and ask them to show you what has been filed. If an M form is filed an electronic report is not available. 

You can also write a letter to the tax authorities and provide them your full bank details with the request to check these and explaining your doubts. The tax authorities should come back to you with their findings. But this is a more time consuming option.

Unfortunately banks and tax authorities in general do not perform a check to see if your name matches the name of the account holder to whose account the refund is paid. 

Interested to see what the result is of your actions and what the experiences are of others with respect to this subject. 

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
When can I expect to receive my tax refund?
Viewed 8466 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
I pay premiums into a long term savings plan. Which value should I declare under the savings in Box 3?
Viewed 3376 times since Tue, Jun 25, 2013
Double tax agreement implications - working in the Netherlands and in the UK at the same time
Viewed 15691 times since Thu, Feb 16, 2012
Income tax on scholarship
Viewed 2977 times since Sat, Mar 23, 2013
Is it possible to file a tax claim for the last three years?
Viewed 3057 times since Thu, May 30, 2013
What type of tax forms are available?
Viewed 2060 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
How do I request a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?
Viewed 21067 times since Mon, Mar 18, 2013
Do I have to declare the salary I earned in the UK after I left the Netherlands?
Viewed 2382 times since Fri, Feb 7, 2014
Request for a "voorlopige teruggaaf" filed by mistake
Viewed 4649 times since Thu, Mar 14, 2013
What is an M form?
Viewed 9569 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011