Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Can I get a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?

You received an invitation from the Dutch tax authorities to file a tax return 

Since it is not always possible to file a tax return before the general deadline of April 1 (May 1 for the 2014 tax year) it is possible to request a time extension. If the deadline is set by the tax authorities at a later date than 1 April (for example because the invitation was sent to you late) and you need a time extension always file the request for the extension before the applicable deadline.

If you can't make the deadline just write a short letter to the tax authorities (to the address stated on the invitation you received) stating that you need some extra time. The tax authorities will then give you a time extension until September 1. You don't have to give a specific reason. It is also possible to call the tax authorities, but since they are not allowed to speak English over the phone his may be a challenge.

The request must contain the following information:

  • your name
  • your BSN
  • your telephone number
  • the date till which you need a time extension
  • the name of the person who signs the request
  • the date the request is signed
  • signature

You must send the request to:

Postbus 2523
6401 DA Heerlen

You will receive a reply from the tax authorities within 3 weeks.

You don't have to provide a reason for the time extension unless you need a time extension of more than 5 months. 

If necessary you can get an extra time extension again if the date of September 1 can't be made either, but then you will have to give a reason and the request must be sent by post, a longer extension will not be granted by Phone.

Registered tax advisors like Expatax B.V. have a special arrangement with the tax authorities. This arrangement allows registered tax advisors to arrange a time extension for all their clients at the same time (with one request) up to May 1 of the next year. So for the tax return of 2014 we can arrange a time extension up to May 1, 2016.

If you would like us to arrange a time extension and file the tax return for you please  contact us now .

You didn't receive an invitation from the Dutch tax authorities to file a tax return

If you didn't receive an invitation from the tax authorities to file a tax return then a deadline is not applicable and you can't request a time extension. This however doesn't mean that it is not possible to file a tax return. You may still be entitled to a tax refund.


Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
I forgot to file a tax return. Can I still file one?
Viewed 2969 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011
Will my employer take care of my personal income tax return or will I have to do it?
Viewed 4881 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
I would like to file an M form but forgot to deregister when I left the Netherlands
Viewed 2005 times since Fri, Aug 14, 2015
Dutch tax authorities threaten with jail when the income tax return is repeatedly not filed.
Viewed 2463 times since Wed, Jun 13, 2012
Timeframe tax refund
Viewed 3133 times since Mon, May 14, 2012
Can I file a tax return if I only have a sofinumber and not a BSN?
Viewed 3184 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
What is the deadline for filing a tax return?
Viewed 7694 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011
Can Expatax assist me with both my Dutch and US tax return?
Viewed 4274 times since Tue, Jan 17, 2012
What is the so called WOZ value of my house?
Viewed 31322 times since Sun, Nov 20, 2011