Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Are tuition fees from previous years deductible?


I studied for 2 years in the Netherlands, for which I paid tuition fees, without however working during these years. I graduated in December 2014 and got a temporary job position in March 2015, with several job interviews lined up for the summer. Can I file a tax return for the 2 years of tuition fees or is it too late now?


You can file tax returns for the previous 5 years. A tax return for 2014 can be filed, but also a tax return for 2013 and 2012 in your situation. The tuition fees must be deducted in the year of payment and if there was no income in the year of deduction, the deduction will move forward to the following year until there is a year with (sufficient) income. 

Expatax assists with filing tax returns.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed